Pages

Sunday 17 June 2012

Reedbed forays

Over the past few weeks I stepped up my nest-finding mission and decided to dig out my waders for a few trips to the Holme Pierrepont reedbeds.

I managed to talk Chris into accompanying me for my first visit and as always he was kind enough to give me some great pointers. A later visit on my own proved successful with a fair number of nests located and this week Pete went back with me to ring the chicks.

Despite the weather conditions, they seemed to be doing really well (even if the nests were looking a little 'angular'). Let's hope some of them make it into our nets later in the season.

I also came across a few Coot nests whilst creeping around between the reeds, one in particular appeared to have young hatching on that day.

Ian

 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment