Pages

Thursday 22 November 2012

Lenton Waxwings

As the rain had finally stopped, I thought I would spend the morning checking the Waxwings at Lenton.

When I was there two days ago the flock was 80 strong and I had found the tree they were feeding in, it was surrounded by buildings (and building have windows). A Sparrowhawk had also found the tree and while I was watching it made an attack. I didn't see it catch a bird but did scatter them in all directions.

Mick P joined me and we went for a walk under the tree where we found the 3 dead birds. Two appeared to have hit windows and the third appeared to have been caught  by the Sparrowhawk and half plucked.

As birds were only dropping vertically into the tree we abandoned any thoughts of trying to net them.

Gary


No comments:

Post a Comment